I Would Rather Be a Son of Pharoah

I am currently reading a book by John Piper titled, “Desiring God: Meditation of a Christian Hedonist” and it pointed me to a passage in the Bible that I have read and quoted many times. That passage was Hebrews 11:24 - 25.

By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter, choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin.


Then I read these words from Piper.

Moses is a hero for the church because his delight in the promised reward overflowed in such joy that he counted the pleasures of Egypt rubbish by comparison and was bound forever to God’s people in love.


After reading those words, I haven’t picked up the book for over 3 weeks. Why you ask? Because I realized that I would have failed miserably if I were in Moses’ shoes. Instead of refusing to be called the son of Pharaoh, I probably would have said to myself that I could do more for my people in a position of wealth and power instead of in obscurity living in the desert.

What was this reward that he would walk away from that much wealth? This cat never had to wear the same thing twice. Never had to do anything for himself. That includes brush his hair or bathe himself. Never would have to fix his own plate or pour his own drink. And I’m sure if I allow my mind to I could come up with a very unsanctified list of things that fall under the “fleeting pleasures of sin.” I won’t. But hey! With all that wealth and being in that position of power just think of what I could do for my people.

I don’t know how that passage makes you feel but when I read it this time, a dread came over me. I realized that the many times I read this passage before, even quoted, I read it as if it was a tweet on my Twitter feed. Nice but not anything that would make me change my life. But now, and for the last 3 weeks I’ve been mourning in a sense. Because my confession is that I didn’t see “the reproach for Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt.” I mean, C’mon! I go to church in America. Wealth and prosperity are next to godliness isn’t it? Isn’t it? My destiny, my purpose isn’t it to reach a place of comfort? Mistreated? Really? I’ll say it again, I go to church in America! I refuse to be mistreated by anyone. I have rights! Have you even read verse 26?

He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward.


Moses looked at his position of power and wealth and decided that the reproach of Christ was worth more than all that he had or ever would have. He didn’t even have the Holy Spirit living in him. Shouldn’t it be easier for me now on this side of the cross? Shouldn’t it?

Don’t get me wrong, I love Jesus but I realize that I don’t love him like I should. This has caused me to examine every area of my heart and to leave no stone unturned. The questions that I’ve been asking myself lately, is there anything in my heart, in my life that I treasure more than the reproach of Christ? What am I willing to do about it?

“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight,
O LORD, my rock and my redeemer.”
Psalm 19:14

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

IT'S SUNDAY!!!!! #SUNDAYSBEST #IMHO

Purpose

I Love You Mom